- Any prospective member must be a working critic with one year of experience with an accredited outlet recognized by motion picture studios and/or local PR firms representing film studios. Applicants must live in San Diego County. Applicants must work in this venue for at least 3 months before applying for membership. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age. Applicants will submit 10 review samples that cover at least a 3 month period (and no greater than 12 months), a letter of intent explaining why they want to be part of the organization and the name of the SDFCS member who is sponsoring them. The application deadline is June 30, 2013.
- Applicant must be sponsored by a current SDFCS member for consideration.
- In order for a member, current or prospective, to maintain his or her membership, he/she must file a minimum of 24 theatrical film reviews (not video) per calendar year on TV, radio, in print, via podcast, or on the Internet.
- These reviews must be in-depth (at least 250 words/3-4 minutes per film for broadcast), and a thoughtful, critical perspective of original content; synopses or regurgitated press kit information do not qualify as original content.
- Current SDFCS members will decide collectively by vote after the deadline has passed to allow individuals to join. Only members who review the applicant’s clips will be allowed to vote on that member.
- Current SDFCS members must attend at least 2 Society meetings a year. New members are required to attend at least 1 meeting, as they are approved sometime after June 30th. The annual vote meeting regarding the year’s films does not count toward this requirement.
- Any member who loses their outlet will have a 6-month grace period to reestablish their status. As long as they continue to attend screenings they may remain a member until their paid-dues year ends.
- Dues for 2013 are $50.00.
For additional information or to obtain an application, please contact Ian Forbes at firstname.lastname@example.org.